Wednesday, August 31, 2016

KCC

I shared a big-picture rhetorical question exercise via SMARTboard (and aloud) to frame how we look at historical and contemporary issues.  Email me if you were absent and I'll reply with the link to the document.  (The extra commentary is that "white guilt," "male guilt," and/or "middle class" guilt are neither necessary nor productive in historical studies nor in addressing our current issues.  Rather, recognize that what was done by others in the past is not our personal burden, and what we do in the present should be to challenge ourselves to consider new information, others' perspectives that often have not been on our personal radars...to value becoming aware when the opportunities present themselves.)  We finished adding source notes/thoughts/questions to our 3-column notes (Wealth Inequality in America video and Lisa Kudrow video -- email me for the links).  We finished up discussing and then completing Part I (# 1 & 2) on the handout work page -- "Unit-Closure Work Page,"  Students then added more ideas and/or clarity to their E.Q.  I collected their 3-column notes.  We began a close-read of some material about scholar James W. Loewen -- see me to schedule a time to make up this work.